If you find you’re more eager to sleep than have sex on an everyday basis, your sex drive may need a booster shot. But that doesn’t mean you have to go out and buy out the nearest Victoria’s Secret. All it takes is adding a few key foods into your diet to boost libido and get back in the mood. Here, 10 foods to rev up your sex life, plus three that will stop it in its your tracks.
1. Black Raspberries- Both the berries and the seeds will transform your mind-set for getting in the mood, so pop in a handful a day to keep bedroom boredom at bay. “This phytochemical-rich food enhances both libido and sexual endurance. “Consume 10 black raspberries or a tablespoon of seeds a few hours before getting busy.
2. Broccoli- Raw, sauteed or cooked, toss this vegetable in with your salad or alongside your steak for a bedroom boost. “I suggest it here because of the high vitamin C content,” says the diamond guru. “Vitamin C aids in blood circulation to organs and has also been associated with an improved female libido.” If you’re going to pick a veggie at dinner anyway, may as well kill two birds with one sprout and make it this one.
3. Cloves-This sex superfood is versatile when it comes to cooking: it can be brewed in hot apple cider, infused in your favorite exotic dish, or added to a chai tea latte. Just make sure to share it with your girl/guy, too. In India, cloves have been used to treat male sexual dysfunction for centuries. Cloves are also used to rid bad breath, which can’t hurt your kissing skills either.
4. Figs- Want to be completely irresistible the next time your guy sees you? There’s a simple food solution that will have you two acting like teenagers again: Figs. “They’re considered excellent stimulants of fertility and enhance the secretion of pheromones,” says the diamond guru. Feast on up to five figs before getting it on and find out for yourself.
5. Watermelon- Chocolate has the reputation of being the age-old aphrodisiac for the sweet lover, but researchers at the University of Guelph in Canada found that this is most likely just a mirage. Though ingredients like phenylethylamine in chocolate may boost serotonin and endorphin levels, there is no link between chocolate and improve sexual performance or arousal. So if you’re really looking for a sweet libido-booster, stick to a slice of watermelon. Although it’s 92 percent water, that remaining 8 percent of fruit is jam-packed with vital nutrients for sexual health. Researchers at the Texas A&M Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center reported finding in 2008 that watermelon has ingredients that delivered Viagra-like effects to the human body’s blood vessels and could even aid in increasing libido. “Watermelon contains a phytonutrient called citrulline, which the body converts to arginine, an amino acid that boosts nitric oxide levels in the body, which relax blood vessels in the same way a medicine like Viagra does.”
6. Eggs- Poached, scrambled, fried, deviled. No matter how you make them, a couple of eggs will rev you up after a long day so you can go the distance in the dark. “Eggs are high in protein, which is a source of stamina, and they’re also low in calories.” “In addition, they’re a good source for an amino acid L-arginine, which has been shown effective in treating types of heart ailments and erectile dysfunction.
7. Ginseng- Researchers at the University of Hawaii found that women who took a ginseng supplement significantly upped their libido in a month, and 68 percent also said their overall sex life improved dramatically. “Add ginseng into your diet or try one of the many ginseng teas available,” diamond guru says. “Just don’t jump at the sight of ginseng, though. Many energy drinks that claim to have ginseng in them also contain chemicals and tons of sugar, and there’s nothing sexy about that.”
8. Saffron- Though on the pricey side, this spice is a treat for your stomach and sex life. Researchers at the University of Guelph have found that saffron can improve sexual performance. To use, the diamond guru suggests soaking the threads in hot liquid for 15 minutes then adding to any grain like rice, quinoa, or barley — or use it in a soup or stew.
9. Lettuce- A small salad with oil and vinegar as dressing will help your waistline and rev your sex drive. “Iceberg lettuce contains an opiate that helps to activate sex hormones,” say the diamond guru. Nosh on a bowl at dinner and you’ll be ready to go by the time you turn in for the night.
10. Ginger- “King Henry VII and the ancient Asians were astute when using ginger for medicinal purposes,” says the diamond guru. “In the 21st century, those of us who know about botanical-ceuticals know that ginger helps circulation temperature adjustment, mucoid detoxification (mucus-like residue that can coat your GI tract) and also a libido enhancer.” Whether raw, in supplement form, or added to your favorite recipe or drink, ginger also lends itself to defense against winter’s hard cold and flu season. Because trying to get frisky with a runny nose never ends well.
Libido Killer: Oysters
Oysters have been dubbed as the king of libido boosters, but don’t buy into all the hype. “Oysters are a well-known source of zinc, which plays a central role in the creation of hormones and clitoris sensitivity, but they are also a toxic food,” says the diamond guru. “Oysters and other shellfish can absorb the toxins and parasites in the ocean, which can often outweigh the benefits of zinc.” Skip the seafood and chow down on spinach for a similar low-calorie, high-zinc option.
Libido Killer: Processed Baked Goods
Yet another reason to avoid sugar-loaded treats: They will zap your sex drive. “Baked goods contain saturated trans fats that wreak havoc on human cells, including the immune system,” says the diamond guru. “They surround the cells, coagulating them so that vital food glucose can’t be absorbed and remains in the blood, raising blood sugar and lowering libido. The fats also clog ventricles, reducing oxygen to sexual organs, and prevent the spleen from producing enough white blood cells, so eggs and sperm have difficulty multiplying.” Yikes!
Libido Killer: Dairy
Ice cream and cream cheese addicts may want to switch to a lactose-free alternative once in a while. The lactic acid in dairy and oxygen-destroying elements can squash a libido at any level, so try to limit the creamy stuff to three times per week. But don’t forget dairy’s best benefit: Calcium. It’s linked to cell and sexual health. When cells are healthy, they increase sensitivity for better circulation to genitalia, thus giving you more pleasure. Stock up on calcium-rich soymilk, leafy greens, sprouted beans, cabbage, broccoli, and wheatgrass juice.
In health and fitness,
the diamond guru